College and University
El Camino College (1969-1971)
USC (1971-1973) Bachelor or Science-Biology
USC (1973-1974) Life Teaching Credential
CSUDH (1982-1987) Master's Degree-Biology
1973-1974 Huntington Park High School (biology, physiology)-student teaching
1974-1979 South Gate Junior High School (science, health, photography)
1979-1990 South Gate High School (A.P. biology, general science, biology,
physiology, computer programming, indep.computer study)
1990-1993 Francisco Bravo Medical Magnet H.S. (Anatomy & Physiology,
1976-1999 Conducted 44 inservice classes for LA area teachers in science,
photography, computers, research
1993-2010 Los Alamitos High School (Anatomy and Physiology, Biology)
2001-present Cypress College (Biology 101)
California Scholarship Sponsor (6 years)
Science Department Chairperson South Gate HS (1982-1989; Francisco Bravo HS (1991-93)
Los Alamitos HS (2008)
Los Angeles Unified school District Mentor Teacher (Science) (1984 -93)
Creator and Director Annual Science Symposium/Ellison Onizuka Lectures Coordinator (13 years)
South Gate HS - Academic Council Member (3 years)
Project Director: Scope, Sequence and Coordination Grant (1989/90)
Astronaut Ellison S. Onizuka Memorial Board Member (1981-1992)
Francisco Bravo High School - School Site Council (1990-91)
Bravo/USC Trust Fund Committee (1991-93)
USC/Bravo Partnership Grant Research Committee Chair (1991-1992)
Los Alamitos Unified School District Curriculum Steering Committee (1994-97)
Los Alamitos Unified School District Curriculum Technology Committee (1994-99)
LAHS Site Grant Committee Chair (1998/99)
LAHS Technology Committee Chair (1996-2000)
Los Alamitos Unified School District Mentor Teacher-Technology (1997-2000)
Other Work Experience
1974- present Professional photographer
1986 Educational Consultant to Northrop Corporation
1986 Educational Consultant to TelEd (Heath Century Program)
1986-89 Computer Consultant to Morris Studios, South Gate Adult School,
USC-Lab for Dev. Biology
1986-present Research Associate and computer hardware/software specialist at the
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, USC School of Dentistry
1990-1999 California Science Project (CSP) - Science Education Consultant
Teacher Workshops in Computers and Laboratory Science
Awards and Honors:
1982 Outstanding Teaching Award, LAUSD Area 2
1982 Outstanding Science Teaching Award, CSUDH Sigma Xi
1985 Edison Outstanding Teacher Award, Southern California Edison Company
1985 PTA-Life Achievement Award in Teaching, South Gate PTA
1985 Outstanding Mentor Teacher Award, Alan Robbins
1985 CTIPP Grant - Research Microscope ($10,000)
1986 Math/Science Teacher Fellowship, L.A. Educational Partnership (LAEP)
1987 Outstanding Mentor Teacher Award, Bill Honig
1987 Teacher of the Year, South Gate High School
1987 Teacher of the Year, Finalist LAUSD
1989 GTE GIFT grant recipient in Math/Science ($12,000)
1989 State Dept of Education-Scope, Sequence & Coordination grant recipient to restructure of science curriculum grades 6-12 ($10,000)
1990 American Society for Cell Biology-Cell Biology Teacher Research Fellow ($5,000)
1991 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1992 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1993 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1994 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1995 Bah'ai Community Service Award for Teaching
1995 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1996 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1997 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1998 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
1999 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
2000 NIH-Research Training Grant ($5,000)
2002 NIDCR Harold Slavkin Science Excellence National Award ($1,000)
2007 Amgen Award for Science Teaching Excellence ($10,000)
2010 Special Recognition Honors - Los Alamitos PTSA
Noteworthy Student Achievements
1991 State Science Fair Student-Charles Kwang 3rd in State
1992 State Science Fair Student-Wendell Pascual 3rd in State
1993 State Science Fair Student-Naomi Akiyama 2nd in State
1995 Orange County Science Fair (10/10 students received medals)
1995 State Science Fair-Khan Pham 2nd in State
1995 State Science Fair-Kevin Bundy 2nd in State
1997 Orange County Science Fair-two students tied for best in Orange County
1997 State Science Fair-Amish Parashar 2nd in State
International Association for Dental Research
Sigma Xi Research Society (Associate member)
National Science Teachers Association
Greater Los Angeles Teachers of Science Association (GLATSA)
Papers and Abstracts:
1. Mayo, M.L., Differentiation of type II alveolar Cells-a new use for the Cason Stain (1974) Stain Technology 49:6.
2. Slavkin, H.C., Johnson, R., Oliver, P., Bringas. P., Don-Wheeler, G., Mayo, M.L. and Whitsett, J.A. (1989) Lamellar body formation precedes pulmonary surfactant apoprotein expression during embryonic mouse lung development in vivo and in vitro. Differentiation-41:223-236
3. Mayo, M.L. Sasano, Y., Bringas, P., Santos, V., and Slavkin, H.C. (1988) Intrinsic versus biomechanical determination of mandibular form. J. Dent. Res. 67:1124. (Paper presented in IADR-Montreal, Canada)
4. Sasano, Y., Mayo, M.L., Bringas, P. Santos, V., and Slavkin, H.C. (1988) Mandibular morphogenesis and cytodifferentiation in vitro using serumless medium. J. Dent. Res. 67:1812.
5. Slavkin, H.C., Bringas, P., Sasano, Y., and Mayo. M.L. (1989) Early embryonic mouse mandibular morphogenesis and cytodifferentiation in serumless, chemically-defined medium: a model for studies of autocrine and/or paracrine regulatory factors, J. Craniofac. Genet. Dev. Bio.-9:185-206
6. Mayo, M.L., Kikunaga, S., Bringas, P., Jr., Santos, V., Sasano, Y., and Slavkin, H.C. (1989) DNA synthesis during embryonic mouse mandibular morphogenesis in serumless medium. Journal of Dental Research 68:1024. (Paper presented at IADR-Dublin, Ireland)
7. Slavkin, H.C., Sasano, Y., Kikunaga, S. Bessem, C., Bringas, P., Mayo, M.L., Luo, W., Mak, G., Rall, L., and Snead, M.L., (1990) Cartilage, bone and tooth induction during early embryonic mouse mandibular morphogenesis using serumless chemically-defined medium. Conn. Tiss. Res.-24:41-51
8. Slavkin, Harold C., Snead, M.L., Luo, Wen, Bringas, Jr., Pablo, Kikunaga, Shigeshi, Sasano, Yasuyuki, Bessem, Conny, Mayo, Mark L., MacDougall, Mary, Rall, Leslie B., Rappolee, Daniel, Werb, Zena (1989) Analysis of embryonic cartilage and bone induction in a defined culture system. In: Bone Regulatory Factors: Morphology, Biochemistry, Physiology and Pharmacology (Proceedings of NATO ASI, Erice Italy), A. Pecile and B. de Bernard, eds. London: Plennum Publishing Co. Ltd.
9. Mayo, Mark L., P. Bringas, Jr., V. Santos and H.C. Slavkin (1990) Desmin and Myosin Localization During Myogenesis in Serumless Medium. Journal of Dental Research-69:384 (Paper presented at IADR-Cincinnati, Ohio)
10. Mayo, M. L., P. Bringas, Jr., V. Santos and H.C. Slavkin (Ctr. Craniofacial Mol. Biol., Sch. Dent., Univer. So. Cal., L.A., California, USA). Synergistic Interactions Between Exogenous Heparin and EGF Selectively Promote Mitosis in Mouse Mandible In Vitro. Journal of Dental Research-79:420. Paper Presented at 1991 IADR-Acapulco, Mexico.
11. Mayo, M. L., P. Bringas, Jr., V. Santos, L. Shum and H.C. Slavkin (1992) Desmin Expression During Early Mouse Tongue Morphogenesis. International Journal of Developmental Biology 36:255-263.
12. Mayo, M. L. Shum, A. Cardenas, P. Bringas, Jr., V. Santos and H.C. Slavkin, TGF-Alpha Expression Within Embryonic Muscle Cells During Tongue Development In Vitro. (Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, USC-School of Dentistry, & Francisco Bravo Medical Magnet H.S.,CA, USA. Journal of Dental Research-81:310. Paper Presented at 1992 AADR-Boston.
13. Harold C. Slavkin, Lillian Shum, P. Bringas, Jr., Y. Sakakura, Y. Chai, M.L. Mayo, V. Santos and Z. Werb (1992) EGF Regulation of Meckel's Cartilage Morphogenesis During Mandibular Morphogenesis in Serumless, Chemically Defined Medium In Vitro. in: San Diego Mineralized Tissues Conference, Elsevier.
14. Slavkin, C.C. Hu, Y. Sakakura, T. Diekwisch, Y. Chai, M. L. Mayo, P. Bringas, Jr. J. Simmer, G. Mak, Y. Sasano and David Sasson. (1992) Gene Expression, Signal Transduction and Tissue Specific Biomineralization During Mammalian Tooth Development. in: Critical Reviews in Eucaryotic Gene Expression, Gary S. Stein, Janet L. Stein, and Jane Lian, editors, CRC Press 2(4):315-329.
15. Mark L. Mayo, Pablo Bringas, Jr., Lynn Chen, Mannghi Huynh, Wendell Pascual and H.C. Slavkin. Morphogenic Effects of Acidic Fibroblast Growth Factor on Mouse Molars. Journal of Dental Research-82:396. Paper Presented at IADR-Chicago, 1993.
16. Lynn Chen, Mannghi Huynh, Mark L. Mayo, Pablo Bringas, Jr. and Harold C. Slavkin (1993) Desmin expression correlates with embryonic mouse trigeminal and muscle formation. Journal of Dental Research-82:396. Paper Presented at IADR-Chicago, 1993.
17. Shum-L.; Sakakura-Y.; Bringas-P.; Luo-W.; Snead-M-L.; Mayo-M.; Crohin-C.; Millar-S.; WERB-Z.; Slavkin-H.C, (1993) EGF abrogation-induced fussili-form dysmorphogenesis of Meckel's cartilage during embryonic mouse mandibular morphogenesis in vitro. Development 118:3 903-917.
18. Janas Chang, Rajeev Seth, Mark L. Mayo and David Warburton (1993) Epithelial Colocalization of EGF, EGF receptor and TGF Beta2 at earliest stages of embryonic mouse lung organogenesis in vivo. Paper presented by Janas Chang at American Pediatric Society Meeting in Washington, D.C.
19. Mayo, M.L., Akiyama, N., Shum, L., Cardenas, A., Bringas Jr., P., Groff, S., Ashdown, B., Crohin, C., Slavkin, H.C. Effects of TGFa on Tongue and Tooth Development. Journal of Dental Research-73:179. Paper Presented at IADR-Seattle, 1994.
20. A.Yamane, M. Mayo, P.Bringas, Jr., S.Reyes, L.Liu, K.Pham, and H.C. Slavkin (1995) TGFa Regulates Desmin Expression during Tongue Myogenesis. Journal of Dental Research 74:460.
21. Mayo, M.L., Dalrymple, K., Bringas, Jr., P., Chang, Y., Krueger, S., and Shuler, C.F. (1997) Immunohistochemical Localization of myosin pheneotypes during tungue myogenesis. Paper presenter at IADR meeting in Orlando, Florida.
22. Chai, Y., Sasano, Y., Bringas, P. Mayo, M. , Slavkin, H..C. and Shuler, C. (1997) The characterization of the fate of midline epithelial cells during the fusion of mandibular prominences in vivo. Developmental Dynamics-208(4):526-35.
23. Yamame, A. Mayo, M.L., Bringas jr., P., Chen, L., Huynh, M, Thai, K., Shum, L. Salvkin, H.C (1997) TGF-alpha, EGF and their cognate receptor are co-expressed with desmin during embryonic, fetal and neonatal mygenesis in mouse tongue development. Developmental Dynamics 209(4):353-66.
24. Yamane, A. Mayo, M.L., Shuler, C.F., Ohnuki, Y., Saeki, Y. (1998) Role of insulin-like groth factor binding proteins during myogenesis in striated muscle of mouse tongue. Presented at AADR meeting in Minneapolis, MN by A. Yamane.
Papers and Abstracts (continued):
25. Mayo, M.L., Yamane, A., Dalrymple, K. Cunnignham, L. Bringas, Jr., Shuler, C.F. (1998) IGF-I, IGF-II and IGF-I receptor localization during tongue myogenesis. Presenter at AADR meeting in Minneapolis, MN.
26. Yamane, A., Takahashi, K. Mayo, M., Vo, H., Shum, L. Zeichner-David, M. Slavkin, H.C. (1998) Induced expression of myoD, myogenin and desmin during myoblast differentiation in embryonic mouse tongue development. Archives of Oral Biology 43(5):407-16.
27. Yamane, A., Bringas Jr., P., Mayo, M.L., Amano, O., Takahashi, K., Vo. H., Shum, L. Slavkin, H.C. (1998) Transforming growth factor alpha up-regulates desmin expression during embryonic mouse tongue myogenesis. Developmental Dynamics 213(1):71-81.
28. Dalrymple, K.R., Mayo, M.L., Shuler, C.F. (1999) Embryonic, Fetal and Neonatal Tongue Myoblasts Exhibit Molecular Heterogeneity in vitro. Poster presented at IADR meeting in Vancouver, BC.
29. Stewart, Sharon; Yi, Scott; Kassabian, Garo; Mayo, Mark; Sank, Anthony and Shuler Charles (2000) Changes in expression of lysosomal membrane glycoprotein, LAMP-1 in interdigital regions during embryonic mouse limb development, in vivo and in vitro. Anat Embryol 201:483-490.
30. Yamane, Akira; Mayo, Mark, L.; Shuler, Chuck (2000) The Expression of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I, II and Their Cognate Receptor 1 and 2 During Mouse Tongue Embryonic and Neonatal Development. Zoological Science (17):935-945.